Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Nicest Friend That I Have Ever Met

There are three qualities every best friend should have. They should be funny, kind, and dependable. My best friend, Daniel, was born in Chicago, IL, but his parents are Korean immigrants. He is 6’5” which is unusually tall for an Asian. He looks exactly like Yao Ming and is almost as tall. This makes him a bit intimidating looking. However, Daniel jokes around and acts like a kid. This is the reason why people like him. When my friends are hanging out together, he always makes us laugh. Daniel is the type of friend who can make anything exciting and fun.

Daniel is constantly hilarious. He has the ability to make the littlest things funny. One day, we were eating Korean food, and he was eating everything but one dish. The dish was sesame leaves, which taste similar to mint. “Why aren’t you eating the leaves,” I asked him. Daniel replied, “They taste like I’m chewing on a menthol cigarette.” I have never laughed so much. Whenever I say something to him, he compares it to something else completely that is unrelated. But in a way, it completely makes sense. I enjoy talking with him because Daniel makes the conversation amusing. I always wonder what he will say next.
Daniel is also kind and respectful to everyone. He constantly goes out of his way to help his friends and even strangers. Daniel is a mechanic and always stops when he sees cars broken down on the freeway and tries to help. It is a sharp contrast from his constant swearing, but it is very amusing. Last month, I needed someone to help me move to my new apartment. The night before the move, I called Daniel and asked him if he could help me move my belongings tomorrow morning. Before he was about to answer my question, Daniel was at a bar with his friends and was extremely drunk. I wasn’t too sure if I should expect him to show up. Anyhow, he said yes without hesitation and showed up on time.

Last of all, this is the most interesting thing for me, and it makes me to close to him. Daniel is a Korean American but more Americanized. He was born in Chicago and spent whole life in the United States. The funniest thing is he understands the Korean culture. In fact, Daniel sometimes acts like a Korean FOB. FOB stands for Fresh Off the Boat. It is a term for those people that was born and raised at their own country and moved to a different country which makes them an immigrant. Truly, I really don’t know anything about American culture. There were few times I made a mistake by treating people bad and not watching what I say to them. When I made that mistake, Daniel told me I should think before I react or say things toward people. Also, he had to explain to them that I didn’t meant to do or say that and made them understand I was raised differently in a Korean culture way.

As you can see, he is the coolest guy that I have ever met. Daniel helped me a lot to adjust living in the United States. Also, I’ve made a bunch of new friends from him. During my free time, I have so much fun with my friends and learn more of American culture, including English. To be honest, they are really helpful because my English is improving a lot. I feel so lucky to have them as my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment